Athens time

Friday 10 December 2010

Christmas Carols at Canterbury

Last night I attended a beautiful carol service at Canterbury Cathedral. The Crypt Choir was outstanding as always and the service beautiful.

From 2010-12-10


Outside a life size stable (and tree too but I didn't get a half decent pic of that)

From 2010-12-10


waiting for the services to start in this magnificent interior



You must all excuse me for the standard of the photos. I did not have a camera with me so tried to take some snaps on my phone.. My poor old phone (which needed renewing over a year ago now) couldn't take the strain and the battery died after these!

Which was ever such a pity, not only was the service lovely, it was breathtaking standing in the dark in this amazing cathedral with all the candles lit, the choir singing with heavenly voices and the organ playing... I would have loved to shoot a tiny bit of video to let you taste the atmosphere, but alas..

The organ was magnificent (you might or might not know I am a particular organ fan) and when it was time to leave, the organ burst into Widor's Toccata (symphony no5)which I just LOVE! Funnily enough I heard it in the car a couple of days ago on radio 3 during a long drive. Ever tried to turn up the sound in the car with that piece? amazing!!! And now the carol service ended with it too. What a treat!!!



Listen to this, then imagine this on the big organ in the Cathedral... A-MA-ZING....

3 comments:

Terrie Sandelin said...

Absolutely stunning. I have to say, there is absolutely nothing like this in my neck of the woods!

Mrs Flying Blind... said...

Wow, I haven't been to Canterbury Cathedral for years! I think when the children get a little easier to muster round the city lanes, I will definitely be dragging the family there.

Jo said...

Lovely photo of the Cathedral, wish I was there.